Saturday, 21 May 2016

And... My IVF Journey begins

Well... firstly, to all new readers of this blog, Thank you for dropping in to view my not so impressive write ups. A small introduction of myself, I am 33 years old, married for about 4 years soon and have been trying hard to have a child of my own naturally. But still no outcome, hence this blog is created. I live in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

As mentioned before, I have been trying for about 4 years for a child. Had been following up with one of the best gynecologist in town. About 2 years ago, I was told that I have a 4cm ovarian cyst at my right ovary. It is not giving me any pain or discomfort nor to the doctor's opinion that it will give me any pregnancy problems.

However, of late, our doctor's visit to my gynecologist, we have been told that the cyst has grown and I have a fibroid growing at the back of the uterine wall. That shows some concern and something had to be done. So as recommended, I was referred to a Fertility Specialist at Bangsar South, Sunfert under Dr. Wong Pak Seng. Therefore, I called up to made an appointment at schedule at mid of April. I must say, I was the last patient and I was there the whole day since 11.00am to get my husband's sperm test done. And manged to see Dr. Wong at about 3.30pm! However, the first check is rather conclusive. We first walked in to seek his opinion on whether or not to operate and remove the cyst on my right ovary and to cut off the fibroid as well, however, to Dr. Wong's opinion, he suggest something we never thought a Fertility doctor would suggest. We always thought all fertility doctors want everything clear from the uterus. However, Dr. Wong suggest that I would leave the fibroid alone as it is not encroaching into my uterine wall so much. As for the cyst on my right ovary, he suggested that a cyst aspiration be done instead of cutting it off as it will affect my egg reserve in my ovary.

As for my husband's sperm test result, it is not as promising either. Therefore, the conclusion is clear, IVF.

Dr. Wong draw out a "game plan" for us. He started me on some contraceptive pills for 14 days, and my "last period" comes as expected in the "game plan". I was given a Dipherelin jab on my buttock on the 12th day of my contraceptive pill, and Gosh! it hurts!! injection site was sore for the past 3 days.

Finally the day of my cyst aspiration came. Which was yesterday. Early morning, no water or food since midnight. And off I go leaving my house with my husband with a nervous heart.

Reach Sunfert, told the front counter I am here for a cyst aspiration, half an hour later, my name was called and I was ushered into the daycare area leaving my husband outside to wait. I was asked to change and wear a cap, walked to my "bed for the day" and was poked with a branula for sedative medication later in the operation theater (never expect that coming actually! and nervous again till my veins shrink!!). Later the O.T nurse ushered me into the OT and there it is, the "stage" is waiting for me. As I lie down on the bed with my both legs propped up, my heart beat was racing. When the O.T nurse hooked me up with my IV monitor and blood pressure sensors, she noticed my pressure was skyrocketted, 140! she told me to cool down and relax while waiting for the doc. About 20 mins pass and the doc finally arrives to do the procedure.

I was given the sedative medication and the rest was history. I only recall that the prop supporting my legs was moved to close up my both legs together and later was ask to move over to my "day bed" and push to the daycare and recovery area and it was a good sleep after that.

After I had a good sleep, woke up and slowly become "sober" I was taken to change and leave the daycare and to my husband whom is waiting patiently outside. I was given some milo (malt energy drink) and took some biscuit to "break-fast".

Later my name was called and in we go into the doctor's room. Dr. Wong told me that the cyst has shrink and all goes well and I will start my Buserelin daily injection starting from 20th May till 3rd June. And off we go out waiting to collect the cooler bag with the medications.

When our turn has come to meet the nurse, the cooler bag was waiting for us on the nurse's table. The nurse gave a demonstration to my husband on how the injection would be given to me on every morning. Small syringe with a small needle, I told myself, aah... is not that horrifying actually! Next she gave me the jab as part of a demonstration and walla! it wasn't that bad actually.

And off we go for the very beginning of my IVF journey

1 comment: